On April 27, we will jump on a bus and head to the MARET Center at Crowder College. The Missouri Alternative and Renewable Energy Technology Center (MARET Center) was opened in 2012. It is a LEED Platinum Certified building, powered by both a 150 foot wind turbine and solar panels. It has a radiant heating and cooling system, and much, much more.
Andrew Poor will be our host for the tour. He is the Sustainable Energy Instructor at Crowder College. He is very knowledgeable on the topics of sustainability and energy, AND very excited about our coming to the MARET Center. The MARET Center is a great training program. Here are some of the features on our tour:
- The Center has a 55 kw of Hybrid PV/Thermal panels, and was awarded a patent for their design!
- The Center has two deep-well geothermal systems.
- The Center was built with ICFs and SIP systems.
- The Center has radiant heating AND cooling (a tough ask in our climate).
- We will see two of their homes, which were entered in the Solar Decathlon, updated to include more recent technologies. They have another entry under construction, but it is off site (perhaps we can get a report and slides!).
- Andrew will also show off two solar race cars that have competed around the world…
- as well as a 1979 Renault electric car being refurbished.
This will be a fun and educational Road Trip.
Let us know ASAP if you are going to join us, and send your check to:
Craig Wolfe, 9844 Georgia Ave, Kansas City, KS 66109
$35 for the bus per person. Add $5 for lunch in the school cafeteria. (Andrew tell us it’s great food!)
We plan on loading the bus at 8:30 am from the Walmart parking lot at 15700 Metcalf and leaving at 9:00 sharp. We will have lunch when we arrive in Neosho, Missouri, by noon, eat lunch in their cafeteria, and begin our tour of the campus Solar Decathlon solar homes, the MARET Center, and other facilities, along with electric vehicles.
Join us for a great day at the MARET Center. Let us know quickly for your plans to attend to Craig Wolfe, email@example.com.